The Coble Teeter house is located at 516 N. Main Street in Oakboro North Carolina, and was built by Jim Barbee in the 1920’s. The story goes that one large oak tree was all he needed to build the house. It is a two-story early twentieth century regal style, with wrap around porch. The gables and decorative elements are from the Colonial Revival style with Bungalow style tuscan posts supporting the front porch. The land was purchased from JR Dunn.
The home was built for Gifford Coble and wife Emma Nelle Coble. After Gifford’s death she sold the house to Henry Ellis and Minnie Love Williams. Ellis then sold it to Mattie Love Teeter the widow of Paul Whitson Teeter of Stanfield, in 1948 for $100.00 plus other valuable considerations. They were living in Stanfield at the time of his death.
Mattie Love Teeter, daughter Vella Mozelle and son Grover lived in the house. Mattie sold it to Mozelle for $1.00 and other valuable considerations. Mattie and Grover lived there for years.
During the period the Teeters owned the property the upstairs of the house was divided into two apartments and over the years numerous young couples rented them as their first homes. It remained in the Teeter family until the July 2009 death of Miss Mozelle Teeter who bequeathed the home and property to the Oakboro Regional Historical Foundation.
The house is one of only two remaining houses that were very common in Oakboro during the early part of the last century. The stucture itself has been virtually unchanged from the 1950’s and represents an important chapter in architecture in Oakboro.
The Coble-Teeter home is currently awaiting renovations to be used by the Historical Foundation.